Skip to main content

Day 66 - Revelation

I’m not sure what triggered the conversations.

I talked to 3 women last week who had all been diagnosed with ADHD late in life. One of them was my sister, and that’s important, because guess what ADHD has?

A strong hereditary link.

The other two were girlfriends - very different careers. Children at very different stages of their life. Different ages for their diagnosis.

And while the wording was different, the message was the same - probably time for you to get evaluated.

Actually, I think when I told my sister “I think I have ADHD,” her reply was something close to “no fucking shit.” You know, lovingly.

There’s an episode of How I Met Your Mother where the sound of glass shattering plays whenever someone notices an annoying habit of one of the other characters. I tend to hear it in my head when I feel a lightbulb moment, and this past week has been nothing but glass shattering in my head.

Why did I stay up until 1am in high school to type out my chemistry labs when no one else was doing that and my dad told me to stop because I was too stressed?

Why didn’t I have the confidence to pursue meteorology or teaching as careers, despite putting in the work, time, and money to be qualified?

Why can’t I stick to my meal plan? Why can’t I meal prep?

Why do I not wash my travel mugs that can’t go in the dishwasher until I have exactly 0 other options?

Why haven’t I put away hang-up laundry since I started this new job?

Why does my suitcase sit, unused and not put away, until my next trip?

I mean. Come on.

What actually triggered the conversations with these other women is when I felt like I was being dramatic. I told one of them “I feel like my life is falling apart.” Which wasn’t true. My life, all things considered, is fine. Better than fine.

What I actually meant was “I feel like *I* am falling apart.”

If you go back and read my blogs from when I started this job until now, there is a common theme - I’m struggling, but I’m about to get my shit together. Just one more week and I think I’ll have my routine figured out.

Narrator: she did not, in fact, get a routine figured out.

Instead, I constantly forgot my wallet in one bag or the other and left without it several days. I ran late every morning. I tried to remember to pack a lunch I didn’t stop to eat. I tried eight different ways to manage my new to-do list for work, switching between digital and analog versions and still forgetting things. I was begging my days, or even just my mornings, to fit neatly into a routine. I cried when my day changed last minute because the vet could get us in *today* and not next week, which is OBVIOUSLY better, except for my schedule. I was exhausted all the time, but surely just from being back at work after being laid off for 5 months.

My life was falling apart.

I had ignored the signs before about ADHD. ADHD was the hot new thing to be diagnosed with, the thing that everyone on my feed said they were, and I try not to fall for pop-therapy type things. My sister was diagnosed, and I mentioned it to my therapist, but no. I don’t fit the mold. Too organized. Too successful. Too clean. Too good at planning - you’re in project management! - to have ADHD.

So, what is the point of me writing about this tonight? Probably because I am still exhausted. Or my brain wouldn’t shut up and I needed a place to put all these thoughts. Or I’m looking for grace from friends while I feel like an absolute mess. Definitely on the inside, and I think sometimes on the outside. Or because I want validation that I am not overreacting for having made an appointment with my doctor for next week to talk to her about it. And that making a 3-page bulleted list about all the reasons why I think I have ADHD isn’t overkill, and is completely normal. (That’s a lie, as soon as I hit “print” I knew it was overkill.)

Honestly, what I really want is to stop feeling like a mess.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day 1 - here I go again

In first or second grade, I found a book in the school library of rhymes and old wives' tales about weather predictions. It was things like "Red sky at night, sailor's delight.” I was hooked. From that point on, I wanted to study the weather. In second grade, I begged my teacher to let me do the weather report for the classroom at least once a week. I was obsessed with a book about how to conserve water. I studied maps, and went to Lake Ontario with Dad to look for waterspouts (I'm embarrassed to say that despite the fact I've spent most of my life on the Great Lakes, I still haven't seen one.) In 4th grade, the dad of one of my classmates worked in the control tower of our airport. This was pre-2001, so he arranged a tour for the class. We got to see some pretty cool things and overheard pilots talking. This drew me in, and by the time I watched a special about the Hartsfield-Jackson airport in Atlanta with my dad, I was so sure I would work at an airport. In ...

Day 120 - Dessert

I'm feeling a little off today. Not just because I'm still dealing with the congestion from whatever this sickness was from over the weekend, but because I'm still unemployed. I think I just don't know what to do next. I had an interview yesterday for a departmental supervisor at a local store, but it didn't go great. I was very out of practice for the interview, which was a surprise to me, and the interview was weird. It was clear that the interviewer had a script that needed to be read and answered in order. None of my jokes landed, and they were funny. I'm funny! Or at least witty. And when I asked some follow-up questions about one of their questions, they didn't have an answer for me. It made me question if I even want this job, and that's the first time that's happened so far this job search. I've also only had 4 interviews (out of 80+ applications), so I guess I haven't had a lot of say in what position is right for me. Today, I was, a...