I found a post for Tim Ferris with 17 questions that changed his life. This is the first question in his list.
What if I did the opposite for 48 hours?
The opposite of what I'm doing now? I'm not working, so should I work? Seems like what I'm trying to do.
Ok, I'll drop the sarcasm (short term, anyway). What if I did the opposite for 48 hours?
In Tim's example, he made sales calls when others weren't, and seemed to make an earnest effort at being more genuine. I suspect I could give that a shot when I write cover letters. If other job seekers are feeding companies what they think they want to hear, maybe I can be the person who is true to myself and see which companies bite. I should probably still tone down my sarcasm and dark humor, but if a company calls me back after reading a cover letter where I've been myself, it stands to reason I will find companies where I like their environment.
Something else I could do for 48 hours/in the short term is avoid my phone. If I'm honest, it has been bringing me down. I'm constantly checking LinkedIn for how many searches I've appeared in so I feel relevant, or Threads to see my new likes and a hit of dopamine, or the news updates that don't seem to be positive lately but that I can't pull myself away from. I can write my blogs and apply to jobs from my laptop, instate a time limit for myself on my phone, and then set it down and walk away. This seems like a worthy goal, and something I can certainly do for 48 hours... starting tomorrow.
What else could I do differently for 48 hours? Breakfast for dinner?
Ok, maybe I need to keep thinking on this question, but the cover letter and phone ideas seem like pretty good places to start.
Comments
Post a Comment