Ah, my first rejection.
I had been keeping it kind of under wraps because I knew the chances of me getting this job were pretty slim, given my experience and the job market, but I had an interview last week. I was hoping I would move forward in the process - the interviewer said she was passing my name on - but they went with someone else. I don't blame them, but the rejection still stings.
It also stings because of the jobs numbers out today. If you want to know if it is a good time to be unemployed, I highly suggest you delete all the news apps off your phone, and don't look at it for a while. The US job market only gained 22,000 employees in August, and everywhere you look the headlines read "US economy now stagnant." I'm paraphrasing, but I am fairly sure I saw that phrase plastered across my phone this morning. Anecdotally, a previous company I had worked for also laid off employees recently, and they were all great people. I feel for them, too. But it also increases competition for me, ya know?
But, back to the rejection at hand. I think it's good I got it out of the way. I've never been great at handling disappointment or rejection (anyone else a former "gifted and talented" student of the 90s?), so I'm going to be sad for a little while. I'm going to avoid panicking, although getting a job this early in my search would have done wonders to alleviate the concerns I wrote about yesterday. I still have just shy of 2 weeks in severance, and then I am eligible for unemployment. I also have a couple of side hustle ideas up my sleeve. Again, I'm going to keep that under wraps, too. As my grandma Bernie used to say, "play it close to the chest." Actually, that might have just been about cards...
I put in some job applications already today, took the dogs for a walk, and went to pilates. If you've ever tried to get back in shape following surgery, especially an abdominal one, you know that strength-training is a kick in the... well, gut. I'm going to be sore tomorrow, but when else will I have this much time for fitness?
I've gotta clean the house still today. As it turns out, when you're down and out for 6 weeks, things can get kinda behind in here. And then I could desperately use some lunch and a shower. Unsure what order all of this will play out in, but now you know my to-do list. And you didn't even ask for it!
I'm trying to remind myself that this is just my current season in life. I have a supportive husband, and a great network that is cheering me on and sharing job postings. I have 2 dogs that are happy for extra cuddles. I'm working hard on myself - in the gym, on Coursera, and through virtual workshops offered by the NYS Department of Labor. I'm putting in the work for job searching. I have a job fair on my calendar for next week, and I have a goal of putting in one job application a day.
So while I wait to hear back from prospective employers, maybe I'll make some bread.
Comments
Post a Comment