Skip to main content

Day 28 - Workshop

First, let me say that I am very close to crashing out on LinkedIn. My former company is hiring for a full-time analyst position that while I'm likely not qualified for, I suspect I could have been trained in it, or one of the other nearly 60 people they laid off was almost certainly qualified for. I'm very close to posting something along the lines of "what, you couldn't figure this out before you upended the lives of 60 people? One of your values is accountability, and you list it in the job posting. Do you feel like you're living up to accountability right now?"

But I'm not sure everyone needs to see me have an absolute meltdown right now, so I'll take a deep breath and try to move on. If I never get hired ever again, you'll know it was from this moment and that I decided to let the intrusive thoughts win.

The reason I titled this post today "workshop" is because I'm going to be workshopping something through this post. I am lucky enough to be working with a career coach (I think that's her title) to make my resume suck less, and she needs some skills and accomplishments from past jobs.

I haven't thought about it in a while, but when I was at UB, I earned the 'Meritorious Contribution as a New Professional Award' from CSPA-NYS. I believe the organization has changed their name now, and I have since gotten rid of the physical award since I assumed I would never need it again, but luckily LinkedIn has it listed for me. I earned it an entire lifetime ago in October 2015.

I should probably tell her that my SAFe Agilist certification has expired, and maybe also look into how to renew that certification. I know these organizations need money to function, but sometimes these renewal fees feel exorbitant for someone that is unemployed. Heck, they felt exorbitant when I had a job, but it feels silly to need to pay to continue to say "I learned this thing, I've used this thing, so please can I pay you to put on my LinkedIn that I still know this thing?"

Ok, I digress.

I have some budget information that I'll send her from two different jobs, and I'm reaching out to some of the managers I'm still in touch with to see if anything stands out to them. Maybe I'll also ask my husband when he gets home. I doubt he'll remember specifics about my jobs, but he is always telling me to have more confidence, like him. He just assumes that everyone thinks he is great and then proceeds in life with that attitude. If nothing else, I can ask him what he would put down for skills. I'm sure something he says will job my memory.

One of the hardest things about this is that I sort of assume that everyone I work with has all the same basic skills as me. Why do I need to talk about Excel, or knowing how to put together a presentation? Obviously, everyone knows how to do that. Why talk about interviewing, hiring, and onboarding people? Everyone in the roles I've had have done those things. Turns out I need to be explicit. And like, about my skills, not with flowery language.

I have dawdled enough. It is probably time that I take some of these thoughts and start to put them in the Word doc she needs me to send her. Wish me luck.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day 66 - Revelation

I’m not sure what triggered the conversations. I talked to 3 women last week who had all been diagnosed with ADHD late in life. One of them was my sister, and that’s important, because guess what ADHD has? A strong hereditary link. The other two were girlfriends - very different careers. Children at very different stages of their life. Different ages for their diagnosis. And while the wording was different, the message was the same - probably time for you to get evaluated. Actually, I think when I told my sister “I think I have ADHD,” her reply was something close to “no fucking shit.” You know, lovingly. There’s an episode of How I Met Your Mother where the sound of glass shattering plays whenever someone notices an annoying habit of one of the other characters. I tend to hear it in my head when I feel a lightbulb moment, and this past week has been nothing but glass shattering in my head. Why did I stay up until 1am in high school to type out my chemistry labs when no one else was do...

Day 1 - here I go again

In first or second grade, I found a book in the school library of rhymes and old wives' tales about weather predictions. It was things like "Red sky at night, sailor's delight.” I was hooked. From that point on, I wanted to study the weather. In second grade, I begged my teacher to let me do the weather report for the classroom at least once a week. I was obsessed with a book about how to conserve water. I studied maps, and went to Lake Ontario with Dad to look for waterspouts (I'm embarrassed to say that despite the fact I've spent most of my life on the Great Lakes, I still haven't seen one.) In 4th grade, the dad of one of my classmates worked in the control tower of our airport. This was pre-2001, so he arranged a tour for the class. We got to see some pretty cool things and overheard pilots talking. This drew me in, and by the time I watched a special about the Hartsfield-Jackson airport in Atlanta with my dad, I was so sure I would work at an airport. In ...

Day 120 - Dessert

I'm feeling a little off today. Not just because I'm still dealing with the congestion from whatever this sickness was from over the weekend, but because I'm still unemployed. I think I just don't know what to do next. I had an interview yesterday for a departmental supervisor at a local store, but it didn't go great. I was very out of practice for the interview, which was a surprise to me, and the interview was weird. It was clear that the interviewer had a script that needed to be read and answered in order. None of my jokes landed, and they were funny. I'm funny! Or at least witty. And when I asked some follow-up questions about one of their questions, they didn't have an answer for me. It made me question if I even want this job, and that's the first time that's happened so far this job search. I've also only had 4 interviews (out of 80+ applications), so I guess I haven't had a lot of say in what position is right for me. Today, I was, a...