I have said it before, and I'll say it again - I don't know what I'm doing.
Now, in my defense, I don't think many people really do, but when I look back at my actions over the past 24-48 hours, there is no trend. I had an interview today, applied to a different job, and took a virtual webinar about applying to Civil Service jobs. I am trying to absorb information from an online course about the algorithm. I took a nap. I've walked the dogs three times (and I think they are exhausted from it). I went to a Zumba class and looked like an absolute fool because I don't usually take classes from this instructor. I looked at our budget and told my husband to pick up Moe's on the way home.
All the actions of a very sane person.
Individually, some of them are fine. Collectively, they make absolutely no sense.
Today, I'm mostly feeling anxiety about the impending government shutdown. My husband and I have been pricing out health insurance on the marketplace, and if the subsidies run out at the end of the year, the tax break that we are expecting to get every month could go away, which may make it harder for us to keep that health insurance if I don't get something from employment. The other thing that comes with a shutdown is less money into local economies. I live near the Canadian border, and a lot of government jobs come along with that... but not all of them are "essential." Some people may be furloughed, others may be expected to come in with no pay, but that means those people do not have disposable income for where I interviewed at today. If the government shuts down, does unemployment insurance stop?
I did not always feel anxiety about government shutdowns. Not only did our elected representatives used to actually work for us, but I was younger. More carefree. Had dumber jobs. One of my favorite memories is working at a hotel in Niagara Falls and getting a call to the hotel asking if they turned off the Falls if the government shut down. Not "will the park be closed?" Instead, "will the Falls stop?" What I should have told her is that they only stop the American side. The Canadian Falls would still work.
You know how people say, "there is no such thing as a stupid question?" I disagree.
Actually, just kidding. I forgot for a moment that I want to be employed again. No such thing as a stupid question. No mistakes, just opportunities. You learn something new every day!
Did I convince you?
Comments
Post a Comment