Hey all,
I'm going to keep today's post short and sweet. I'm going to use my powers for good and not chaos.
If you don't know, I'm on the Board of Education for my school district. No, I get it. My absolutely unhinged writing in this blog doesn't seem like someone who should be in charge of things, but here we are.
I just started my 5th year and have learned a lot about how governance works, and how important state budgets are to school budgets. That seems obvious when you think about it for even half a second, but I encourage you to attend (or watch the recorded sessions later) budget sessions later this school year. My district will start our conversation in January, and then present the final budget proposal in May the week before the vote.
But I digress - I'm here to ask a favor. Now, from what I can tell, the shutdown of the Federal Government won't impact the current funding levels, but the proposed budgets will have an impact. The New York State School Board Association (NYSSBA) wrote a short memo on it here. You should read the whole thing because it is pretty short and they're smarter than I am.
In that memo, they ask you to "support the preservation of federal support for schools, through the Senate’s budget proposal" and you can send an email to your Congressional representatives at this link here through the National School Board Association (NSBA). That's right, National. Just because you're not in NYS like me, you can (and should) still take action.
That's it. Nothing additional today. No extra thoughts, just a call to action.
Thank you 💜
Comments
Post a Comment