For a Saturday, it was a long day.
Actually, now that I'm unemployed, any day on which I need to do something is a long day and today I had to do 2 things. Yes, two whole things.
Even though it was a long day, it was a good and productive day. I spent my morning eating delicious muffins with my other Board of Education members. Not only did we make progress as a Board and governing entity, but I made progress as an individual member by recognizing a couple of ways that I can improve, and also took away things that I can use in my personal and professional lives.
I think the 2 things that I am taking away from this morning are:
- I have become complacent. I can do a better job across the board of adjusting my resumé for the jobs I'm applying for, cooking more at home, getting to the gym more, and coming to Board meetings better prepared. (In my defense, some of this over the past 3 months has come from being overwhelmed from surgery to recovery to being laid off, but probably the best way to get out of overwhelm is taking care of myself and having a routine.)
- Onboarding people to any group or workplace is important and is done best when everyone takes responsibility for it. Some of our new Board members feel behind and confused (which, for the record, is very normal and there is training in NYS), but I remember what that felt like, so doing my best to share the resources that have helped me actually helps all of us if they get up to speed faster.
Ok, now that I have written something reflective in case any prospective employers stumble upon this blog, I can move on to more nonsense.
I was home for about half an hour, which wasn't even spent at home and was instead spent walking my dogs with my husband, and then I headed out to my hometown, which can be described as "someplace special." We had a family birthday to celebrate, and I belly-laughed at dinner a lot. Since some of this post was actually important, there is no need for me to share any of those jokes here, but I've said this before and I'll say it again - if you come from a large family, you better be witty in order to keep up with the chaos. Also, shout-out to my stepsister for an absolutely delicious gluten-free, dairy-free ice cream pie. It is important that I share she used So Delicious Cookies and Cream, and Salted Caramel Cluster. Or something. The names are close enough for you to find them and try them.
Wow, maybe I should end on a high note. You got personal/professional reflections, and ice cream recommendations. What else could you want out of a blog?
You're welcome.
Comments
Post a Comment