I was not made to keep up with 9 year olds.
I don't think I was made for 9 year olds, even when I was 9. If it wasn't the monkey bars or books, I wasn't interested. To be fair, being a chunky kid in dodge ball is a bit difficult...
But I digress. I was not here for my experience.
I worked at a daycare for a summer, and one of the kids was a runner and escape artist, and I'm sorry. You want me to go grab him? Absolutely not happening. Call his mom and let her know she is about to save money on groceries because she's down a kid.
And now 2 of our nephews are 9. They're only 3 months apart, and luckily don't know each other because I do not have the energy for even one of them at a time.
Why is that important today? I hung out with one of them for about 3.5 hours today. We spent 2.5 of those in Dave & Busters, and even though he is super well-behaved, HAVE YOU EVER BEEN IN A DAVE & BUSTERS? It was a million degrees (that estimate on the cool side) and I had sweat dripping down my back. I was carrying our food around, and his jacket, and he's running math in his head to keep track of how many tokens he has left.
Side note, it was absolutely not necessary for him to do this math in his head. Whenever you tap the little card to the game you want to play, it tells you how many are left, but he likes math. In fact, he likes math so much that before our food came out, we did multiplication by hand on the back of napkins so we could compare our methods. Between his nerdy tendencies and his inability to stop talking, we're definitely related.
Ok, where was I? You know what, you're not getting a coherent blog from me tonight. You are getting a stream of consciousness. I'm so sorry if you're still here, reading.
Then I had a dietitian appointment, and she seems like she could be my friend if she weren't my newest practitioner. She's 40, got both of her degrees in Buffalo, and when I told her I'm not made for humidity because my ancestors are Irish and German, she goes "Mine too! We should be in the cold weather harvesting potatoes!" My girl.
Then I drove straight to the gym and participated in a weightlifting class, where I almost died because I had already spent the day with a 9 year old.
On the way home, I got Mighty Taco.
And I have routine bloodwork tomorrow morning, but it should be fine, right? It is called balance.
May we all find it.
Comments
Post a Comment