Of all the things Margaret taught me about crafting, she never mentioned that you shouldn't craft while hangry.
I went to a watercolor class today at a local art store, and by the end of the class, I was hungry. It wrapped up at 12:30pm, so prime lunchtime, and there I was - trying to understand perspective with a paint brush in my hand and a rumbly in my tumbly. All I can say is that I did not take the criticism well as my watch crept towards the finish line.
Ok, that's not entirely true. I took it fine, I was just cranky about it. Plus, I can think the instructor is wrong. It's art.
Side note - this revelation today really makes me question the whole "starving artist" trope.
I continue to find myself in spaces during this phase of my life with older women. I am never the oldest in the room anymore. Obviously that's an exaggeration, but the next time I make it to midday yoga, I'll be the only one with more brown than gray in my hair. The library? The chick lit section is all mine. Art classes? The youngest by 30 years. The grocery store? The only one with a plan. What I can't tell is if I'm secretly an old lady at heart, or if we should just lower the retirement age because old people have it all figured out and this shit is cool. I'll keep experimenting. For science.
Plus, I get to see different old lady personalities. I think I might adopt the one I met today who didn't seem to care that she couldn't get her perspective correct, either. She was recently retired and she is just out trying things! For what it's worth, I think that's the right perspective, but what do I know.
I think I'll pass on the personality that was pretentious. That one didn't seem like much fun.
In the meantime, while I wait for my hair to turn grayer and to stop going to the grocery store with a strategy in mind, I'm going to keep showing up in spaces where I can learn things from them.
And also to return my overdue library book. Oops.
Comments
Post a Comment