I wish I was my dog.
As I am sitting here, trying to keep track of all the things I need to for a successful job search, she is barking at the squirrels in our front yard. She only has 3 braincells, so when they run around the corner of the house, she is so lost about where they went. She barks at them, she barks at me, she barks at the universe. Bring them back!
Meanwhile, I'm feeling a total sense of overwhelm today.
I have no other bites from applications right now, so I'm back to the drawing board. I have 512,445 business cards in my possession from networking, and I need to reach out to them. I applied for a job where a friend of mine works, but I need to figure out how to get something in front of the hiring manager to set myself apart because there are so many applications. I was accepted into SEAP, so now I'm trying to figure out if my requirements for meeting with my employment (unemployment?) counselor through the DOL are the same as before. I have to find a mentor for that program.
And on top of all of that, I just found an error in the heading on my cover letter/resume template. Of course it is my fault, I need to take responsibility for it, but I am frustrated about it. I had coordinated with a... transition career coach?... at a company that was hired to help those of us let go "transition to our next phase." (Why does it sound like this would also work for a funeral home slogan?) She ended up having a personal emergency the week we were supposed to meet, so she just grabbed my old resumes and put together a version herself. I liked it, and trusted that she was an expert, so I moved on. Today, as I was looking at it, I noticed (again) that the link she has for my LinkedIn profile was different than what I send people. I hadn't thought about it before since it was my name, but today I went to the link from her heading, and it sends people to an error page.
To be honest, my resume and applications have been making it to so few people that it probably isn't an issue, but it's dumb. It's embarrassing. I need to make sure it's corrected on everything moving forward. It's an extra detail my brain wasn't prepared for today.
I guess I thought this job search would be easier. I guess I thought that because I'm an organized person who is good at planning things (and is certified in various aspects of project management), that I'd have my life more together through this. I guess I thought I could trust experts.
I guess I should get back to the cover letter I was working on before I needed to vent.
Comments
Post a Comment