I love a good webinar, but I never expect them to be exciting.
Today, I was wrong.
I spent my morning trying to hunt down trainings that would count for the SEAP, and then checking to see if any would overlap others. A wildly mundane way to spend a Wednesday. I found one for today about business contracts, and considering I know nothing about the legal world, I decided this would be a good starting place.
After I find what I can today (18 planned hours out of the necessary 20 - so close!) and apply to a job that looks interesting, I take the dogs for a walk, have some leftover fajita stuff for lunch, and take a quick shower before a meeting tonight. Again, perfectly ordinary.
I'm cleaning up my training spreadsheet when I log into the webinar at 3:58pm. The webinar starts at 4pm, so I don't want to be too early. They let us all into the room at 4 on the nose, and tell us they're going to give people a couple of minutes to log on. I want to be accurate here, so they start at 4:04pm with some quick introductions and announcements. They let us know who these law people are, and how they can help small business owners. Still, incredibly innocuous.
Ladies and gentlemen, we do not even get through the agenda before... something happens. Suddenly everyone with host privileges goes ghost white and we get a small "sorry about that, folks" from the organizer.
I want it on the record that at this point, I still did not know what was happening. Whatever they were seeing, we couldn't see or I had a delay. Something.
The person sharing her screen stopped... and tried again. And that's when it was there.
Porn.
Now, it took me a second or two to figure out what I was watching. Ok, not literally. I understood that part. But I mean, how is this happening? We are way past early internet days with sketchy websites and pop-ups that won't close. Although, we did see some pop-ups. (Yes, plural.)
I don't know if it wasn't on her screen and it was only happening when things were being shared, but she tried sharing her screen 3 more times, and there it was. Every time.
I think they finally took host permissions away from everyone (which, why wouldn't you have done that in the first place?), and she was able to share a screen without porn. Unfortunately, that lasted about 3 seconds before whoever this person or group or hacker or angry ex was started writing on the screen.
Bright red letters that said "bitch dumb."
The irony being that they spelled "dumb" incorrectly.
So now they take away annotation rights (again, this should have been obvious), and they think they have it figu... and they make an announcement. They are going to have to close the webinar completely with a hope to reschedule it because the webinar is compromised. Everyone can log off, good bye.
I'll be honest, I'm a little surprised. I thought they had cleared everything.
Ah, just kidding. The thumbnail picture for the presenter was no longer her video feed. In her place was, to be fair, a woman who looked just as surprised, though.
Anyway, the webinar wrapped up by 4:11pm, and I don't think this is going to count as training credit.
Comments
Post a Comment