Skip to main content

Day 105 - Is it really day 103?

My husband was looking over my shoulder just now as I opened up the space for a new post. That's fine, he can look at the very detailed chart I'm keeping of every job I've applied to, my blog statistics, and the hellscape that is LinkedIn. He sees me start the title - "Day 105" - but his eyes are terrible and he's looking at it from an angle so he goes "Is it really day 103?"

"Day 105."

"Huh."

Then he suggested that I write my posts like I'm a desert island, so he's obviously been very helpful so far with this post.

If I had to guess, he's probably surprised at how much time has already passed since I was laid off. Not only do I know the feeling, but he's not great at calendars.

Anyway, I'm not here to poke fun at my husband. I'm here to talk about how I've made progress today! I submitted some of my SEAP papers, and applied to a job. I went to a networking event, and complained about LinkedIn on Threads. Wait... that last one isn't helpful, but it is true.

My husband also saw the to-do list and he was like "... should I have more stuff to do?" I mean, probably, but also, I'm trying to juggle job searching, starting a business and a program designed to help with that, the tasks I have for his business, and other various endeavors I'm interested in. And by that, I mean, making dinner and writing a book. Very normal things that belong on the same to-do list.

Speaking of dinner, I remembered to take out the chicken so it could thaw. Please clap.

I'm crushing it today. Everything... most things... are on the to-do list, and I'm checking them off as fast as my brain will let me. At some point I will need to charge my laptop, and even though I want to be productive after dinner, it's possible my dogs will reclaim my lap as their rightful spot.

But until then! If you need me, I'll be over here, doing what my list tells me to do!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day 66 - Revelation

I’m not sure what triggered the conversations. I talked to 3 women last week who had all been diagnosed with ADHD late in life. One of them was my sister, and that’s important, because guess what ADHD has? A strong hereditary link. The other two were girlfriends - very different careers. Children at very different stages of their life. Different ages for their diagnosis. And while the wording was different, the message was the same - probably time for you to get evaluated. Actually, I think when I told my sister “I think I have ADHD,” her reply was something close to “no fucking shit.” You know, lovingly. There’s an episode of How I Met Your Mother where the sound of glass shattering plays whenever someone notices an annoying habit of one of the other characters. I tend to hear it in my head when I feel a lightbulb moment, and this past week has been nothing but glass shattering in my head. Why did I stay up until 1am in high school to type out my chemistry labs when no one else was do...

Day 120 - Dessert

I'm feeling a little off today. Not just because I'm still dealing with the congestion from whatever this sickness was from over the weekend, but because I'm still unemployed. I think I just don't know what to do next. I had an interview yesterday for a departmental supervisor at a local store, but it didn't go great. I was very out of practice for the interview, which was a surprise to me, and the interview was weird. It was clear that the interviewer had a script that needed to be read and answered in order. None of my jokes landed, and they were funny. I'm funny! Or at least witty. And when I asked some follow-up questions about one of their questions, they didn't have an answer for me. It made me question if I even want this job, and that's the first time that's happened so far this job search. I've also only had 4 interviews (out of 80+ applications), so I guess I haven't had a lot of say in what position is right for me. Today, I was, a...

Day 1 - here I go again

In first or second grade, I found a book in the school library of rhymes and old wives' tales about weather predictions. It was things like "Red sky at night, sailor's delight.” I was hooked. From that point on, I wanted to study the weather. In second grade, I begged my teacher to let me do the weather report for the classroom at least once a week. I was obsessed with a book about how to conserve water. I studied maps, and went to Lake Ontario with Dad to look for waterspouts (I'm embarrassed to say that despite the fact I've spent most of my life on the Great Lakes, I still haven't seen one.) In 4th grade, the dad of one of my classmates worked in the control tower of our airport. This was pre-2001, so he arranged a tour for the class. We got to see some pretty cool things and overheard pilots talking. This drew me in, and by the time I watched a special about the Hartsfield-Jackson airport in Atlanta with my dad, I was so sure I would work at an airport. In ...