I am not a good cook.
You know what I am, though? A good recipe follower.
This is why I'm a good baker. This is why my HelloFresh meals always taste fine. It's because someone wrote down what to do step-by-step, and my brain went "I can do that." So we did it.
For one of the jobs I recently interviewed for, I had to take a personality test. During the interview, with the results in front of them, they said "The results said you're rigid." And yeah, doesn't everyone else feel better when they have a routine? Or when they come into work in the morning and they have a sense of what their day might look like?
I told them what I actually like is structure. I like having a starting point. I like knowing the expectations of me. I want to know if this agenda makes sense, and what tasks you expect me to complete. I want to know if I'm making chocolate cookies or brownies.
Once I know that, I can play within it.
So, back to the matter at hand - dinner. I'm just not a good cook. My meals are meh. They're edible. They provide sustenance. Today, I wanted to find foods that will boost this awful immune system of mine, and I did that. But was it good? Meh.
I suspect I will get better at this the more I do it. The more times I try to whip up a stir-fry, I'll figure out what flavors I need, and what spices go with what. I'll read about how to make my own sauces, and I'll get the timings down to not dry out my chicken. I'm like a diamond in the rough right now - I just need a little polishing.
Uh, maybe I'm more like... quartz. I don't wanna be too rigid.
(Above was an attempt at a joke using the properties of minerals. In case you are not a giant earth sciences nerd like me, just know that on the Mohs Hardness Scale, quartz scratches easier than diamond. And that's it. That's the whole premise of the joke.)
Comments
Post a Comment