Well, I’m sorry to report for all of you that I have 83 pairs of earbuds, and I didn’t bring a single one with me to the gym, so now you have to read my ramblings.
Actually, I suppose you don’t have to read them, but you’re here now.
It’s the first time I’ve been to the gym in about a month. Maybe longer. I took some time this week to reflect on my routine, and that reflection time was probably the only good use of time I had all week. Outside of work hours, that is.
As for work, I had a small mental breakdown on Tuesday, asked for help on Wednesday, and then crushed my to-do lists on Thursday and Friday. Turns out, normal people don’t expect to be perfect, or even fully proficient, at a new job after only 6 weeks. Weird.
Anyway, I’ve got some ideas about how to manage my time a little better moving into this week. My plan is to use my Sundays to maximize my time during the week. This is in no way revolutionary, but it is an adjustment. After working mostly from home since March 2020, and having come off a fairly long layoff with no routine, it’s weird for me to make sure I pull out chicken in the morning or the night before, because I won’t be home at lunchtime to pull something together. I won’t be able to just switch the load of laundry when it’s done. I can some of the time since I’m hybrid, but not always.
Plus, bless my therapist this week for telling me the same things she’s been telling since I started seeing her about 7 years ago. Progress, not perfection. Set yourself up for success by making things easy. Start a new habit by tying it into an old one. Start somewhere, then we can make adjustments.
So why, when I think to myself, “Self, you need to eat out less. No more Tim Hortons in the mornings. Our budget and our waistline can no longer support this,” do I automatically think only overnight oats with berries, or homemade smoothies, or greek yogurt will do? You know what else will work? Frozen breakfast sandwiches and a banana with office coffee. You know what it’s cheaper than? And healthier than?
A Tim Hortons breakfast sandwich with an iced capp and chocolate chip muffin.
Is there still room for improvement? For sure. But does it start to meet my needs while building a habit? Also yes.
And I want to get to the gym every night. But you know what’s better than nothing? One weekend day, one night, and some dog walks.
I think that’s it for today. My elbows are sweating from holding my phone while walking inclines, and I want to hop off the treadmill as soon as my half hour is over. I’d like to get home to walk the dogs before the thunderstorms hit this afternoon.
Even a short walk is better than nothing.
Comments
Post a Comment