What am I even trying to say today?
A ramble, that's what I'm trying to say. A rush of words after a very long day. Thoughts and words that are not organized at all.
A 12-hour day is too long. Why was my nephew naked this morning when I got to their house? Taylor Swift and Bad Bunny make for a good playlist for me. Geeks shouldn't give presentations. My shoes were the wrong choice for today. Is Seth Meyers wearing a new shirt?
But what I'm actually thinking about is how I've been taking some risks lately in trusting people. That makes it sound dramatic, but what I actually mean is that I'm trying to get to know some people around me better, and that requires being vulnerable.
It meant taking a chance on texting someone who was in the most boring meeting of all time with me with some snark, and hoping I judged them correctly (I did). I reached out to a new work friend, and the work group chat, about my stress levels, and was met with empathy and assistance. I texted an old friend about some of my less-than-stellar moments in my 20s, and got humor, understanding, and some much-deserved judgement. It's asking The Council why Poppy is peeing in the house, and desperately hoping for some wisdom.
I tried to not cry in front of my new bosses, and like. Ok, I was less successful on that front, but they didn't seem to judge me, so let's call that a win. I'm also slowly letting out pieces of my personality, like my playlists (see above) and telling them "If New York State wants to complain about your 2024 taxes now, they can wait 3 more days for me to call them back." Not sure what was so funny, really. I thought it was pretty logical.
If you're reading this, please pray for the new coworkers, bosses, and hopefully soon-to-be new friends in my life because only you know what they're getting themselves into - a woman with tear ducts attached to every emotion, intelligence with a solid helping of both sarcasm and self-doubt, and a face that does not have an inside voice.
May the force be with you. (And also with you... in case you grew up Catholic.)
Now, if you'll excuse me, it's probably time for bed so I can have a restful 10-hour day tomorrow.
Comments
Post a Comment