On this, the holiest day of the year for us (recovering) Catholics, a miracle did actually occur.
We ate our meal on time at Grandma's house.
We've had several holidays together at this point in my blog journey, so I'm sure I've talked about this, but maybe my inclination towards project management came out of having a large family. No, I'm actually sure of it. As a child, it starts simple - help make food the day before, put on the curtain dress your mom made for you, be in the car before dad pulls the car out of the driveway.
It evolves as you get older. Maybe you make the food on your own or pick the recipe, or you have an option of which curtain dress to wear. You need to plan in your make-up to make it to the car on time (just kidding, I didn't have to do that, but my sister did).
And you learn to tell time during this journey, and you get watches and cell phones, and you realize something. We've never eaten on time for a single holiday in your entire childhood.
But yeah, your ability to plan continues to morph until one day you're at brunch with a cousin-in-law plotting the takeover of the family Christmas party, getting a tote to hold party items, and creating a Google doc so everyone knows what is being brought and what allergies there are.
I might not have been hosting today, but it still takes planning, you know? I am fairly certain that my family only loves me for Paula's Donuts, but they're not open on Easter Sunday, so I needed to make time to get them yesterday. Then I had to remember to put them in the car.
It's a lot of hard work.
Anyway, I took my first long weekend from work this weekend. I had Friday off as a holiday, so I used Thursday as a PTO day and enjoyed a 4-day weekend. The problem with having a long weekend when you're new-ish to a job is that you get back and realize... you actually have no idea how to do your job. I'm going to walk in and stare at my email and the notebook that houses my to-do list and likely not understand any of the words I'm looking at.
Does everyone have this experience? Or is this just me? I'm starting to worry that that's just me.
Did I have a point today?
You know what, I didn't. I just wanted to announce we ate on time, and that I forgot how to do my job over the course of 4 days.
Let's hope for another miracle tomorrow.
Comments
Post a Comment