At the beginning of the year, I read some articles, mostly opinion pieces, about how Americans don’t party enough anymore. I don’t remember specifics, so don’t ask, but between the loss of “third spaces” and the pandemic and the rise of social media, etc etc, we just don’t gather like we used to.
Gen Z is also apparently not really drinking? But more for the millennials, so whatever.
There is also a loneliness epidemic. While I do think this is mostly men who feel this, there is an entire section of the population who don’t feel like they have a close friend to call for emergencies or if they needed support.
I’ve also written, I think a couple of times now, about trying to be a better villager; to be the kind of villager I want in my life. (I’m still a work in progress, but I’m trying.)
So anyway, to the point, Stephanie.
What I’m saying is: we need, want, and deserve more human connection.
Tomorrow morning, I’m having some friends over for brunch. It’s a bit of a gamble - they mostly don’t know each other, I don’t actually know how many people are coming, and I hope they don’t expect a clean house. My dogs will bark at every single person who comes in the house. I’m willing to show them all my office and book collection, but only if they promise not to judge the junk food that’s being stored in there to make room for the mimosas.
I can also offer a lowkey space to hang out. No pressure. I put out some things to make friendship bracelets if the fidgeters in the group need something to do with their hands. My back deck is clean-ish, and the front porch has a table and chairs that are less clean, but they exist. I’m making bacon, French toast, and scrambled eggs. There is fruit. I will make more food if it runs out or people stay until dinner time. It might eventually be hot dogs and mac and cheese, but we wouldn’t starve. Things for mimosas. Some women to get together to talk about work and whether or not it sucks, if their partners found their wallets that morning, and what our families have done recently to frustrate us.
(Btw - work does suck, I’m confident my partner has no idea where his wallet is at the moment, and my family AND my in-laws are perfect and none of them ever annoy me.)
So yeah, I’m trying to throw more “parties.” Some more opportunities to get together. A place so that my friends know they always have at least one person they can call. A reason to drink mimosas.
And if my garden goes the way I hope it does again this year, my next brunch we’ll be having shakshuka so I can use up some tomatoes. Because of course I’ll be doing this again.
Comments
Post a Comment