Over the weekend, I pulled a muscle.
You might be asking, "How did that happen, Stephanie? Training too hard?" How I wish I could sound that cool.
Instead, I was at my sewing class and needed to pee post-lunch. You can already tell this won't make me sound cool. At all. It's like breaking my wrist all over again.
Anyway, I had worn one of those athletic dresses that have been really popular in the past couple of years with a t-shirt over it. I was trying to look fashionable, and I'm not sure I accomplished it, but anyway. That's what I was wearing. This is important because as I was taking my t-shirt off so I could take my dress off (since these dresses have those little shorts pieces), my neck tweaked.
I am only 38. I am doing my best to be healthy. I was out being social AND enjoying a hobby. And my neck just... I don't know, decided it didn't care to participate in the day any longer?
I bravely toughed out the rest of my absolute beginner sewing class and finished my cute little apron-style toolbelt, and drove home. If you've ever had a stiff neck (we all have), this is what it feels like, so driving was a challenge. I'm so glad we have those little warning lights on our mirrors these days because my ability to see in my left blind spot was basically 0.
Author's note: for those of you aware of the fact that I have, in fact, sewn before, I took the beginner's class on purpose. First, I am not a regular sewist (the new term), so I wanted to build up some confidence. Relatedly, this store has other classes that I am interested in that say "this is not for absolute beginners, you need to have at least the skills in our beginner classes," so I wanted to make sure that I had those skills. Great news, I did.
I did finish out Saturday fine. I didn't go for a run, but I walked the dogs and did a 2 mile walk by myself. It helps that I have a leash belt, where they clip on, instead of holding regular leashes in my hands. On Sunday, I did go for my run, went grocery shopping, and went to Suffs (which was amazing and deserves more attention than to share this blog post about a woman who pulled a muscle while taking off a t-shirt), and was honestly feeling better by the time I went to bed.
This is where it goes downhill. Juniper got sick overnight, and while there was no vomit and she made it outside every time, she still woke us up at least twice to go out. It doesn't sound like a lot, but it was enough to cause some broken sleep. After the last time she went out, I slept on the couch with her so we could keep the back door open with the doggy door so she could go out on her own if she needed to. But as it turns out, sleeping on a couch isn't great for a stiff neck or a pulled muscle or whatever this is. Follow that with staring down at a computer screen all day, by the end of the day Monday, I was practically in tears.
The great news is that what I can offer you is a suggestion for the next time you tweak something taking off your underwear, or pull a muscle putting your watch on: Aspercreme with Lidocaine. Specifically, the roll on version with lavender. The roll on has been great because my husband can help put it on (since I can barely reach my back when everything is working as intended), and he doesn't get any of it on himself. Plus, it dries really quickly. Plus plus, the lavender smells great. 10/10 product for this old woman.
I'm still on the struggle bus a bit today. I got to work from home, so I did what I could to be comfortable during the day, but desk setups are rarely built for helping someone with neck pain feel better. Plus, I think it's from being tired, but my right pointer finger has been twitching since yesterday, and my right eye has been twitching all day today, so I am just uncomfortable. I'm tired. I'm done. Is the week over yet?
So if you need me, I will be resting on my bed tonight, watching pointless TV and possibly taking a pre-bed nap, and counting down the hours until a massage I finally scheduled for myself on Thursday.
But I better be feeling better by then!
Comments
Post a Comment