No, I haven't been running recently. Have you seen it outside? I mean, forget my gym membership. No, seriously, forget about it like I forgot about it until this exact moment.
I went on a rant this morning with my therapist about my climate anxiety. In no uncertain terms, I am stressed about our situation as a population. As a global population. I don't think we have fully come to grips with what is coming. What happens when New Orleans is underwater and we have to move all of those people somewhere? No, I am not being alarmist. Parts of New Orleans have elevations below sea level. Where do they go? Who pays for it? What if they don't want to go - do they still get government services if they declined government help to move? If there is government help? And that is just one city.
Now do Miami - elevation 6ft above sea level. Now do Long Island - where the highest point on the whole island is 401 ft above sea level
Now do the American West wildfires. And the Canadian wildfires. And the air quality from wild fires. And the reduced snow pack in the west. And the Colorado River running out of water because of the reduced snow pack. And the more frequent flooding because a warmer atmosphere holds more water. And a warmer atmosphere means less pressure differences which means less wind which means hurricanes move slower than they used to which means more inland flooding because they hold more water because it is a warmer atmosphere and they don't move as fast because there is less wind to move them off the coast.
And we haven't even left North America yet.
So no, I haven't been running in a while.
But maybe I should go. If I am going to have to live in these conditions, at least my lung capacity should be the best it can be.
(PS also feeling anxious? You can go to the Canadian Red Cross website and donate. You can also call your Senator and tell them to take back the power of the purse so Trump can't enforce a pollution tax on Canada. You can reach Congress at 202-224-3121.)
Comments
Post a Comment