I assume most of you don’t know this, but my husband and I get our health insurance through the New York State of Health Marketplace.
There is a special place in hell for whoever created this monstrosity.
Anyway, our insurance premiums last year were about $1200/month. Now that the subsidies expired, it is $1550/month. And this is while we have an $8000 deductible. It is expected to increase next year.
At this point, we will likely be dropping my health insurance as we simply can’t afford it. Plain and simple. Even when I was working, health insurance was bleeding us dry, not helping.
But before I drop health insurance, a quick saga about trying to get health insurance figured out as a returning, adult student.
1. See if I have any options through SUNY Niagara. I have a single option.
2. Attempt to update my application on my own for student status, but there is nothing in the application.
3. Contact a Navigator to help me with the Marketplace.
4. He calls me on the phone, tells me I must have “aged out” of the student question.
5. Question every decision I’ve ever made in my whole life.
6. Reach out to SUNY Niagara for help. Get this voicemail as a response.
7. Reach out to my House Rep, Congressman Tim Kennedy, for help with this note:
8. Wait… but only for a couple of days since I want to cancel my health insurance ASAP.
Anyway, I’m also working on paying for tuition since I lost my job last week. If you feel so inclined to help, or share with your rich friends, I’d be thrilled. GoFundMe wanted me to “step” my goals, so the first milestone is $2800, but the first year of tuition will be $13,000, and that doesn’t include books or my chef uniform. Truly, any help is appreciated. You can find the link here.




Comments
Post a Comment